Wednesday, February 17, 2021

28mm Sci Fi Project, Pt I - Pig Iron Heavy Infantry Review

If you were an Imperial Guard player back in the early 2000's, chances are you've heard of Pig Iron.

Even today, they hosted some of the best headswaps available to Guard players who were looking to customize their armies. I remember picking up some head variants myself way back in 2004, and remember being very impressed with the quality of their casts and spread of head options. 

Revisiting their website throughout the years, I was always interested to see their other figure lines, and often wondered who used them and why - specifically their Kolony range. To a 13 year old who only new 40k, it seemed odd to me that such a range of Sci-Fi figs existed and seemed so much different than your regular guardsman.

Thankfully now, it is clear to me that multiple rulesets for Sci-Fi exist and are quite good, and these figures fit the bill perfectly. Alas, it was finally time to get my hands dirty and dig into these ranges which I had been eyeing for over 15 years now. 


I decided to pick up the entire Heavy Infantry set from Pig Iron. Shipping was quick, although post-Brexit shipping prices were a bit heavy, and stopped me from adding more (like some of their awesome looking Resin vehicles). Packaging was great, and you can see the figures as received below; 



Simply put, these figures are fantastic. The sculpts are clean, the casting is great with minimal to no flash, mold lines aren't too harsh, and they have a great weight to them. Most importantly though, they look badass.

The one downside I'd knock them for is that the heads are a bit fiddly to get to fit right, which is partially due to the the way they are gated onto the metal sprue they come on. You'll need to be careful removing them and won't want to snip too much off the neck portion. If you have any experience with metal models though it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you. 

With just an hours work I was able to clean them, base them up on 20mm rounds, and get them ready for basing. Currently, we're looking at using Tomorrow's War - a Sci-Fi variant of Force on Force - as our ruleset, but thankfully these figures are generic enough where I'm confident they can fit a wide variety of systems. All in all, I'd definitely purchase these again and am excited to see more from Pig Iron in the future. Keep your eyes on this space for Part II where I'll begin to paint these up.




No comments:

Post a Comment